About Me

My photo
Guildford, Hampshire, United Kingdom
I am a 47 year old (2011) first generation Caribbean Black British woman. I have a 30 year old daughter and a 23 year old son. I am single and work full-time as Air Cabin Crew on long-haul. My first book (my auto-biography) called 'Shoy' was published in Feb 2004. Currently I am looking for an agent to represent me or publishers for the various projects I am working on such as a play, children's story, love story and the sequel to Shoy.

Saturday 14 May 2011

Redondo Beach - Los Angeles

Hello again.  I would like to start by thanking those of you who have visited my blog this week from the following countries: United Kingdom, United States of America, Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and Turkey.  I hope you (and you know who you are) and many others will enjoy this next little snippet.

Having just visited Los Angeles (still struggling with the wrong time zone as I type), the memory of my visit is still very clear, but then all my visits around the world are always very clear as I just love travelling.  On my clear day off, I was up at about 0930 (LA time) and decided that the weather out looked ok.  It was not bright sunshine, but it was not raining and I had not got a clue what the temperature was going to be like, but I glanced at the people going about their business observing what they were wearing so I could judge what I was going to wear.  On doing this though, it was not very helpful because some people were in t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops and some were in jackets and jeans, so I decided to put on jeans with flip-flops, a sun top and a very thin lace red top over that (at least it would cover my arms if there was a bit of a breeze).

I walked down to the Marina (it was almost deserted).  The smell of the sea was strong and refreshing and there was a more than slight breeze, but not cold or chilly, just the right temperature.  As I stood at the breakwater barrier, just looking around with the sea very calm, along came this lone paddler in his kayak.  As he went past the spot I was standing, we just exchanged glances with a smile, no words were uttered and he went almost silently out of the breakwater area and out across the open sea.
I moved on from my spot and continued my walk around the very quiet marina.  There were some really lovely vessels moored up.  You always wonder when you see these things, who owns them? where do they live? what their family are like? and are they happy with their life?  They are beautiful objects and you hope that the people who own them have beautiful minds to match (I know I have gone off on a tangent there - ok back in the room).

I came upon this gondola which was obviously decked out for the tourist or even someone who just wants to be romantic with their loved one.  Nonetheless, it looked quite unique (especially as it was not in Venice).
As I carried on around the Marina, there were the fishermen lobster boats with their empty traps stacked up with a few birds darting in and out of the battered looking wire holes of the pots.  I stood there for a while just watching them, not sure if it was play or dining. I made my way around to the pier and watched the fishermen casting their lines.  I got chatting to one elderly guy, who had been at the very spot since the night before.  He packs himself a selection of crude doorstep sandwiches, two flasks of coffee and a selection of fizzy bottled drinks.  He was such a nice old boy.  He had two lines set over the edge and just sat there on his collapsible canvas seat, a roll up in the corner of his mouth - not even lit.  I bet he had some stories to tell.  I left him to his day.  The pier, in places looked really rickety, but there were businesses on it with the waves just lashing beneath, almost as if it wanted to knock the very foundation away.
I left the Marina and wondered of in the direction of the beach.  I had never been to Redondo Beach before and I have to say, I was not disappointed.  The sand was clean and beautiful in the morning sunshine.  There were the tracks of the tractors that had cleaned the beach from the night before and seaguls and pigeons hoping around.  There were not that many people on the beach, but lots of joggers along side on the dedicated running path.  Its amazing how many joggers were elderly - good for them - but then living in such a favourable climate, there is no excuse, even if you jog at a very very slow pace. I am sure I would consider taking up jogging if I lived here (hmmm and maybe not!!).
I could see in the distance some surfers and at times they would catch small waves.  Such an energetic looking sport, I would love to try it, but I am sure I would drown (be good for the leg muscles though), but what a rush it must be to actually stand up on the board and surf - hmm maybe!!
 As I continued wandering along the beach front, the lifeguards were coming on duty, opening up their beach huts for the days events.  A bit of 'Baywatch' eh?  I am sure that if I had gone back to the beach in a couple of hours, it would have been a totally different picture, but this was at 1030 in the morning.

I left the trappings of the beach and made my way up through the houses, side roads and sheets back to the hotel, but not before getting a slice of pizza (as you do) and in the open air, with pizza juice running down the side of your mouth and you trying to be elegant, just makes the pizza taste even better. There is so much to this area and this is just a patch.  I will bring you another episode to Los Angeles and that is my visit to the very touristy side of Hollywood and all that has to offer (well from my eyes anyway).  Hope you have enjoyed this.

No comments: