About Me

My photo
Guildford, Hampshire, United Kingdom
I am a 47 year old (2011) first generation Caribbean Black British woman. I have a 30 year old daughter and a 23 year old son. I am single and work full-time as Air Cabin Crew on long-haul. My first book (my auto-biography) called 'Shoy' was published in Feb 2004. Currently I am looking for an agent to represent me or publishers for the various projects I am working on such as a play, children's story, love story and the sequel to Shoy.

Tuesday 19 October 2010

Singapore

Hello everyone, thank you for coming back.   I am sat in the hotel bar type reception in Johannesburg with the sun very hot outside, but unfortunately my allergies have decided to attack me, so sleep last night was totally interrupted with trying to breath and sneezing, but I am up nonetheless.  To top it all I am feeling queasy as always when I come here from the altitude (not nice), but with nothing to get distracted with, I am bringing you this account of Singapore.

Singapore is another of my favourite destinations to visit.  When I arrived for the very first time, having previously been to Bangkok, my expectation was one of chaotic traffic, noise, smells, pollution, dirt, bartering etc.  But it is so not like that at all.  In fact Singapore is clean, clinically clean and I observed one night from the balcony of my hotel this little army of cleaners sweeping the roads/paths all night.  Chewing gum is not allowed in Singapore (so I've been told) and so there are no little black dots on the pavements from the previous discarded stuff.  The gardens, fauna  and flora are so manicured and beautiful to look at.



Singapore not being that large can be seen in about three to four days, depending on how long you take at each attraction.  Views from my hotel have been spectacular.



This picture is looking at the Financial District of Singapore and the two largest buildings are 280 meters tall which is the maximum height in the area.

To the left of the above picture you can just make out the Fullerton Hotel which was once the general post office and was made in the Art Deco Style which was the dominating style of the district.



Down at the harbour, almost opposite the Fullerton Hotel is what once was the symbol of Singapore the Merlion.  This is an imaginary creature which is made from the head of  a Lion and the body of  Fish.  It is quite an attraction and I could just stand there and watch it for ages, its as though it talks to you.




There are many many places to eat of course from eating where the locals eat such as a nice little place called Maggie's.  The food here is great and lots of it and hot.  It is served as its cooked.  Of course there are fine dining places catering for large groups as well as romantic couples.  There are an array of bars to suit.  There is also an area called Chijmes.  This used to be a Catholic Convent and surrounding the very gothic church are bars, restaurants and nightclubs for your entertainment.  It is a very lively place in the evenings and you sit out in the warm evening air, sipping your tipple, chatting with friends, people watching etc.  The last time I was there it was the World Cup so there were big screens erected and it made for an even better evening, the atmosphere was great.

Of course you cannot visit Singapore without stopping in at the Raffles Hotel for some afternoon high tea in their beautiful tea room.  The architecture is just amazing in this old building.  If a stylish evening out is what you are looking for then a visit to the Long Bar is great and you can't step into this beautiful dark wood surrounding and not taste the famous Singapore Sling and eat peanuts, discarding the shells on the floor.


The skyline of Singapore has changed dramatically over the last year and now there is a fantastic new hotel, shopping complex and conference centres across the bay at the Marina Bay Sands.  It is a new complex with these three towering buildings and at the top is guaranteed breath taking panoramic views of Singapore and beyond. 


To top it all there is an infinity pool - this was the first one I had ever experienced and if you don't have a head for heights, this is not for you at all.  It is just amazing and so worth a visit.




I have been lucky enough to have been in Singapore when the Grand Prix has been on.  If you are not a Grand Prix follower, just the atmosphere alone would make you interested and hearing the roar of the engines as they speed past is exhilerating.


I have also been there for The Chinese New Year and the firework display just goes on and on for what seems like forever with the noise level to match.  It is a colourful and a no expense spared extravaganza. 


In Singapore you can 'shop till you drop' and treat yourself to some expensive diamonds and gems, eat the many diverse cuisines that are on offer, sample a different drink each night of your stay, do the jive at three in the morning to some random music playing outside the 24 hour 'golden arches restaurant', or just do nothing and soak up the sunshine, but above all, be amazed in Singapore, see it, embrace it, enjoy it and relax as you do.

No comments: