About Me

My photo
Guildford, Hampshire, United Kingdom
I am a 47 year old (2011) first generation Caribbean Black British woman. I have a 30 year old daughter and a 23 year old son. I am single and work full-time as Air Cabin Crew on long-haul. My first book (my auto-biography) called 'Shoy' was published in Feb 2004. Currently I am looking for an agent to represent me or publishers for the various projects I am working on such as a play, children's story, love story and the sequel to Shoy.

Monday 11 October 2010

Antigua - Caribbean

Hello all.  A very inspiring place for creative juices to run is Antigua.  It is so amazingly relaxing, beautiful, colourful and hot (although when it rains, it really rains).  On one of my many trips there, we had hired a jeep and took a trip around the Island.  When we set off, the weather was sunny and beautiful.  The locals had said that it was going to rain, but at that point, there was not a cloud in sight.  The scenery, smells and sounds of the Island and its people were breath-taking.  The many white sandy beaches (some deserted) were just inviting with its ice blue/turquoise to deep blue sea lapping against the shore, some of it very rocky in places with an abundance of shells to collect. It is warm and in places so calm that you just float without a care in the world, its like being gently massaged in a sea salt infusion.


As we drove taking it all in, it began to drizzle, which then turned to rain, which very quickly turned to an absolute deluge.  The windscreen wipers were almost flying off the front of the car at the speed they were moving.  It was not long on our journey, that some of the roads had turned to quite fast running streams and being in a jeep this was passable (just) for us, but for many of the locals, they had abandoned their vehicles along the road.  We carried on in the torrential rain to an area of the Island called Devils Bridge.  On approaching this part of the Island, the terrain looked like something out of a Martian movie.  It was very rocky with sharp, pointed rocks.  It was still raining but we parked up and decided to go take a closer look around.  This 'Bridge' was just amazing and very very dangerous.  Basically it was part of the headland where the middle part of the rock had fallen into the sea and had left this suspended walkway and at the times the sea (if very rough), would hit the rock face underneath and go right over the bridge.  This is where the daring part of walking over the bridge would come in - definitely not for me.  There were tiny holes all over the area and you could hear eerie sounds escaping all around. Returning to the Jeep, we were absolutely soaked, but with a change of clothing in the car and towels as a beach visit was on the itinerary, slightly contortioning in the car, we were dry and changed and on our way again.

On another visit to the Island, I took a trip up to Shirley Heights which promises panoramic views and it was not disappointing and of course the famous sunset.  The sunset colours are so vivid and the whole area turns a red/orange colour for what seems like ages.








  There is so much to see and do and of course a wealth of food to enjoy.  People watching is a must and for me fuel for my imagination.  Hope you liked the pictures.  I'm off to pack now for another early morning report.  Have a good week.

2 comments:

Creating Chorissa said...

So Inspiring. looking forward to reading your next post
xx

Aandi Greenway said...

Hello Chorissa Thank you for your comment I really appreciate it. So glad to hear that you are inspired by my blog. I hope you continue to draw from it and I look forward to further comments from you. Once again, thank you.