About Me

My photo
Guildford, Hampshire, United Kingdom
I am a 47 year old (2011) first generation Caribbean Black British woman. I have a 30 year old daughter and a 23 year old son. I am single and work full-time as Air Cabin Crew on long-haul. My first book (my auto-biography) called 'Shoy' was published in Feb 2004. Currently I am looking for an agent to represent me or publishers for the various projects I am working on such as a play, children's story, love story and the sequel to Shoy.

Friday 19 November 2010

Costa Rica

Well finally hello everyone and thank you for your patience - I do apologise and I hope the wait will be worth it.  This is quite a long blog, but we must agree, that when something is good and you have plenty to say, it just has to be said.

Today I have chosen a holiday I had some time ago to Costa Rica.  It is always easy to choose somewhere to holiday where you have been before, familiar with, or a friend or relative recommends, but sometimes, just sometimes you need to do something random, out of character and totally embrace that decision and this was one such occasion.

Knowing nothing about Costa Rica it was going to be a totally new experience and challenge (apart from the fact I don't speak Spanish), but I was going to take it on and deal with my decision when I returned home - good or bad, wrong or right.

The journey getting there was laborious and given the nature of my job, you would think I would be okay with travelling and connecting, but oh no, this journey went on for hours and hours.  I flew to Houston having made the decision not to connect through Madrid (I know wrong choice) and another wrong choice was not choosing to fly with a very well known British Airline.  Once in Houston the layover was about six hours, what do you do in an airport for six hours?  I was now the traveller and it is easy to see why people are the way they are when they board that plane!!  Finally boarded the plane to Costa Rica and take off.  In all getting there took about twenty one hours, but lucky for me I can sleep standing up, so I did not feel that bad and of course here I was in a location by myself for the next week - perfect.  Arriving at my hotel late the first night, I stood in my room gazing out of my windows (I had two windows as my room was in the corner so that was perfect), the night sky was dark with the heavy rain clouds and in no time at all there was lightning which was so bright it just lit up the cramped buildings that spread below for as far as the eye could see in the split seconds.
With that I quickly drew the curtains as I really don't like the flashes and then of course the clap of thunder to follow and yes it was loud, very very loud and I was all alone in this huge room.  I got my trusted camera, and peeking through a little gap in the curtain I observed where would be the best place to try and capture the light show.  I set the camera up, left it on the window sill and switched the TV on hoping to drown out some of the thunder but of course that was scrambled with all the electricity activity outside - typical.  It was such a good idea to just video record the weather, it captured some really good footage - the evidence you can see above. Finally the weather passed and I had a long shower and then to bed - nice.

The next morning up bright and early, quick breakfast and then off to explore my surroundings.  The air was damp, muggy with very unusual smells and the pavements were soaked with mini rivers running down the side, obviously it had been raining earlier, but now the sun was out and it was going to be a hot day.  One of the locals took delight in informing me that by mid afternoon it would be raining and if I was venturing far, an umbrella would be sensible (all said in broken English of course).

The buildings around the hotel were all so different with some very old, decorative ones and equally new concrete ugly looking ones, as well as modern hotels.

This building was all boarded up with plants growing through the masonary, but so beautiful and I would have loved to buy it and restore it to its former glory with its bright blue gallvanised roof which I could see from my hotel window.
I wondered around the area for some time and found some very nice petite boutiques in little back roads selling all sorts of beautiful knick-knacks, some telling stories about the local life and culture.  The colours and simplicity of some of the items were so attractive and the people were so friendly and inviting.  As I walked around, I found a little restaurant (well I thought it was small) from the front there was not much to it, but once you stepped inside it stretched backwards, outside and upstairs and was a family run business.  The food was so tasty and looking around, it was a very popular place and this was just lunchtime.  Anything ordered came with delicious re-fried beans and rice - for me I was in heaven and for a starter a very watery cup of broth (no idea what sort of broth but tasty all the same).

Of course being 'the tourist' I had booked myself a couple of tours and was lucky enough to have a tour guide all to myself this particular day.  On part of my day out, I was taken to a place called Cartago which being the oldest city was once the capital of Costa Rica.  The town is dominated by the ruin of a church, Iglesia de la Paroquia which had been rebuilt several times only to be destroyed in earthquakes, and now is protected and the internal grounds are beautifully kept. The walls of this building is so thick and its amazing that what remains has survived so many natural disasters.
You just cannot go to Costa Rica without visiting a coffee plantation and I was taken to one called Valle de Orosi.  There are some times in your life when you know something is right - just for you - and this was one of those moments for me.  I was so at peace with this place and I could seriously settle there in this quaint community with its rugged surroundings of mountains, hills and greenery.  It was 360 degrees of sheer beauty and bliss.  Its an awe inspiring place and for a writer, would be just perfect.  I am sure I will re-visit it.


Looking around this 'village' and being in a valley, there were some homes high up on the hill sides where only a very sturdy 4x4 or something equivalent could get up there and I would imagine that when it rained (which this time of year seemed every day), there was no way you would be able to drive up it and I am sure access would only be on foot - fascinating, but still very appealing. 
These people seem to live very simple lives, but of course that is in the eye of someone looking in, but they appear happy and content and very welcoming.

I had no idea what a coffee bean bush looked like at any stage.  The leaves are so shiny and healthy looking and to see the coffee beans growing makes you appreciate your cup of decent coffee all the more.
With all the rain fall during the few days since my arrival, on my next adventure up to see the Poas Volcano, there were mud slides, this particular one we were not sure that the vehicle was going to be able to make it through, as it was not clear how deep it was and whether it was clear on the other side which was around a bend, but whilst waiting, there was another vehicle making its way through from the other side, so the driver decided we would proceed - great I really did not want to miss out on seeing this volcano, having never seen one before.
The journey to the volcano was long and slow, but the rain was not continuous, but when it rained, it rained, so much so that the windscreen wipers were working overtime just to allow the driver to see.  On route, we came across this huge dam called El Diquis.  I was like a child and I was begging the driver to stop - unbeknown to me, this was part of the day and a stop was scheduled - embarrassing.
I had never seen a dam before and the gates were colossal.  It was ashame that they were not being used that day to experience the force and power of the water, the noise and the spray - that must just exhilarate you.  Standing on the bridge, every time a vehicle went over, it would shake which was a bit unnerving. From the other side of the bridge you could see very clearly the water levels that are reached on either sides of the banks below.
Our journey continued and it was all up hill, in some places quite steep hills.  Along the way there were villagers selling little souvenirs, chopped up fruit, drinks, hot snacks etc along the sides of the road, strategically in places where you would take photos - clever eh?  On one such stop, there was a suspension type bridge over a river that was very dry, but my guide told me that normally this river is fast flowing and very deep and many people have drowned not realising the strength of the currents.
Arriving at the Poas National Park of course it was pouring with rain and the lightning and thunder was bright and loud.  The guide went to the little booth that sold the tickets to go up to the crater and he was told that because of the weather, there might not be anything to see up there with the low cloud cover, but it was up to us to take a chance and see.  Well having come this far, why not go take a look.  With the weather still being hot, I was definitely not dressed for this deluge and the little souvenir shop was selling plastic poncho's. So here I was in this lovely plastic bright yellow poncho - nice.  Ticket bought we trekked up the path, passing all sorts of fauna and flora.  The picture below (and I can't remember what the name of this plant is), is used by the locals when it rains.  It is a very thick leafed plant and very large, the stem being very sturdy, but the milk that oozes from the stem is an irritant, so what with the rain and all the milky substance, maybe not a good idea to be soaked holding the stem of a potentially rash causing plant.                        
                                                                           
As we got closer to the top, the weather was not favourable at all.  Seriously, you could not see where I was walking as I had my head down trying to stop the rain lashing in my eyes, it was by no means cold, but just torrential and then I kept shrieking with the clap of thunder and not to mention the lightening strikes.  Why oh why was I trekking to the top of a mountain to see an active volcano on a day that resembled something out of a movie when the world was going to end?  I could now (through the rain) see the edge which had rails erected.  I slowed right down behind the guide, my heart was in my throat and beating hard in my ears, I did not want to see it.  I was more than seriously scared and at this point if I had been given the opportunity to turn back, I would have sprinted.  The guide turned to talk to me and was stunned as to how far behind him I was and beckoned for me to come forward.  As I slowly approached, I could see the edges of the crater across the way, the rock was clear under the hovering cloud which seemed to have a life of its own, moving in some places fast obscuring the rock and then clearing just as quick to reveal it again.  The cloud had not descended too low and now I could see the whole, smoking, hissing crater below and how close it seemed.  The smells were definitely weird and the sounds were eerie which was not helped by the weather.  There was no where to shelter from the lightning and rain, so we just stood there at the edge and I kept bringing my camera up to the opening of my plastic, beautiful yellow poncho took a snap and then quickly returned it to keep it dry.  It was truly amazing.  The colours were so vivid of reds, browns, almost gold, black, grey, silvers etc and such a rugged, broken, distorted landscape, steep sides - looking hard, but sandy and soft in places.  WOW what an experience - still scary though.

See - looking good in the yellow poncho eh!
So having had enough of the weather at the crater's edge, we left Poas not knowing whether the roads would be passable with all this rain which seemed to concern the driver.  I was just glad to be back in the people carrier, poncho off and now steaming from being damp - classy!!

On our way back to San Jose, we stopped at what looked like a shack for something to eat.  I was now feeling a bit chilled, but presumably that was because I had got so wet at the volcano and I so just wanted a hot cup of something (and when in Costa Rica only coffee will do). 


So feeling very embarrassed, I asked for a nice hot cup of black coffee not strong and they offered me and the guide a seat near the old fashioned type burner which was very welcomed, but it was in great working order and this is where they boiled their water to make the coffee's etc.
The food was delicious and there was no hurry to your dining experience.  The gardens around the restaurant were well kept and it was such a shame it was raining so much.  As we sat there chatting, the locals joining in, a hummingbird came into view on one of the nearby branches and I crept over with my camera and took a snap - unbelievable.  It was actually sat under a large leaf as if sheltering from the rain.

I definitely did not have enough time in Costa Rica and the weather hindered my continued enjoyment.  I was so looking forward to doing the Sky Walk through the canopy forest and the Zip Line, but it was far too wet and was cancelled - but something I would like to return and do.

I thoroughly enjoyed Costa Rica - the little I saw of it and I look forward to my return - hope you enjoyed my account of it.



2 comments:

Linda Gartz said...

It's been about 10 years since I went to Costa Rica - on spring break with my husband and two sons. We only had a week, but it was glorious. It's cool you actually got to the edge of the volcano. We only heard it hissing and grumbling behind dense clouds, as we sat in hot springs heated by its activity.

Aandi Greenway said...

Hello Linda
Thank you so much for leaving your lovely comment. I hope I have sparked your interest to visit Costa Rica again, I think its an amazing place, I absolutely loved it. I view your website with interest as I would like to find out more about my family, what I have found so far is quite interesting. Once again thank you so much. I will be updating my blog shortly. Aandi