About Me

My photo
Guildford, Hampshire, United Kingdom
I am a 47 year old (2011) first generation Caribbean Black British woman. I have a 30 year old daughter and a 23 year old son. I am single and work full-time as Air Cabin Crew on long-haul. My first book (my auto-biography) called 'Shoy' was published in Feb 2004. Currently I am looking for an agent to represent me or publishers for the various projects I am working on such as a play, children's story, love story and the sequel to Shoy.

Sunday 10 October 2010

Dar Es Salaam - Tanzania

Hello all.  I thought I would share some photos with you of places I have been to in the past and that had a real affect on me.  This one is Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania.  This destination is quite amazing in what you see and experience.  On my first visit, I went over to Bongoyo Island which is a Marine Reserve.  It has beautiful white sandy beaches and the day I went over there were tell-tail signs of baby turtles making their way down to the sea. 
    

The sea is warm and on the boat trip over (the only way in which you can reach the island) there were loads of jelly fish to be seen in the sea - varying sizes - absolutely amazing.  Apparently (lol nervously), there are snakes through the rocky, tree/bush lined nature walkways (for me a very nervous walk).  Once out the other side, there is another beautiful beach where the sea just kisses the shore - stunning. Before going off on the mini adventure, you are asked what you would like for lunch.  The menu consists of fish, prawns, chicken and home made fries.  My choice was fish.

Once back through the (jungle lol) ducking branches which you seriously hope are branches (lol) and stepping over undergrowth, and observing holes all over the place, you treat yourself to an ice cold drink.  The island is uninhabited, but the locals have set up a shack type restaurant with lots of cold drinks, a few souvenirs and of course table and chairs.  There are not that many places to shelter from the sun especially if it gets busy.  At a pre-arranged time, your lunch is served.  If you ordered fish or prawns, they were caught and cooked just before eating so of course they are all different sizes and colours - but delicious with the home made fries.

The day over, you wade back to the boat just off the beach and make your way back to the slip.  When we arrived back, we stopped at one of the bars which lines the harbour area.  As we sat there watching the mesmerising sunset, out of no-where a local just waded across the harbour, which we thought was deep, it was the most perfect shot as you can see.

If you ever get to visit Dar Es Salaam, Bongoyo island is well worth a visit, apart from sitting on the beach all day just relaxing, there is a coral reef very close by for snorkeling and also an old wreck.  - Enjoy.


No comments: