About Me

My photo
Guildford, Hampshire, United Kingdom
I am a 47 year old (2011) first generation Caribbean Black British woman. I have a 30 year old daughter and a 23 year old son. I am single and work full-time as Air Cabin Crew on long-haul. My first book (my auto-biography) called 'Shoy' was published in Feb 2004. Currently I am looking for an agent to represent me or publishers for the various projects I am working on such as a play, children's story, love story and the sequel to Shoy.

Friday 15 October 2010

Sydney - Australia

Well hello folks, I got back from Muscat yesterday morning with a nasty cold and I have not felt like doing a thing, just feeling sorry for myself.  As promised here is another instalment about one of the places I love and have visited (in the line of duty) many times.

My very first visit to Sydney, I was full of over-excitement.  We arrived very early in the morning and I was knackered and even if I tried there was no way I was staying awake.  So listening to my body, I had a couple of hours sleep and then on waking remembered that I was in Australia.  In no time at all, I was out the hotel with camera and huge expectations.  Walking down the hill towards the harbour, I was like a mad person, I was sure I was talking to myself (aloud) and for anyone who knows me, they would be nodding right now lol lol.  I could see the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  Oh My Life, Oh My Life and that was definitely said aloud.  Knowing that the bridge was opposite the Sydney Opera House, my pace quickened and as I turned the corner, there it was. WOW - Oh My Life - WOW.  I had the biggest smile on my face ever and (not ashamed to say this), I started to cry. For a lot of people, to witness with your own eyes this amazing place is just a dream and here I was on a beautiful morning, standing right there, the bridge on the left and the Opera House to my right.



There is just so much to see, spoilt for choice and choosing where to go next is the dilema.  I stood there just watching and absorbing the sight and sounds.  There were people climbing the Bridge, which is something I have to do, but of course I would like to do that with someone special.


On another one of my visits, we took a trip over to Manley on the ferry.  The area is very colourful with lots of street entertainers, some of which were really good and drew huge crowds.  The beach is absolutely beautiful and there were loads of surfers.  It was a bit chilly, but they were out there riding the waves (rather them than me).  There was such a family atmosphere and sitting on the wall running along the beach, its the kind of place you can imagine living near and waking up to that view every morning.  How could you not be inspired? and how could you ever be stressed?


Of course you can't go to Australia and not get to see an Aborigine blowing his digeridoo.  For anyone who has not heard this live, its an amazing sound, very mesmerizing and conjures up a load of images. 


I have to say though, the most memorable time having been in Sydney is on a cold, early morning (actually getting in and out in less than an hour of getting to my hotel room) and down to the Opera House and it being totally deserted.  The light was just bouncing off the exterior tiles, with the odd bird flying overhead and the shadows being casted danced over the steps as the clouds moved over the rising sun.  Truly fantastic.


There is a lot of fine dining to enjoy and if you love your meat, one of my favourite places to visit is Philips Foot.  It is a pub type restaurant where you barbeque your own meat, helping yourself to various salads, breads, potatoes etc.  It has different cuts of meat and I love it and whenever I go, I always have the largest T-Bone steak I can pick out.  Another great spot at night is the Opera Bar.  Here you can sip champagne and marvel at the Opera House and Harbour Bridge lit up in all their glory.

Everyone I know wants to visit Sydney and I reckon that everyone should get that opportunity at least once in their life and when/if you do, enjoy it - its a long way to go not to.

Look forward to your comments and bye bye for now.

No comments: