About Me

My photo
Guildford, Hampshire, United Kingdom
I am a 47 year old (2011) first generation Caribbean Black British woman. I have a 30 year old daughter and a 23 year old son. I am single and work full-time as Air Cabin Crew on long-haul. My first book (my auto-biography) called 'Shoy' was published in Feb 2004. Currently I am looking for an agent to represent me or publishers for the various projects I am working on such as a play, children's story, love story and the sequel to Shoy.

Monday 18 April 2011

Hong Kong

Hello everyone, I sincerely apologise for not bringing you any blog updates for some time, but life has a habit of catching up and taking over (if you know what I mean), but here I am again caught up and bringing you my experience of Hong Kong. I have been lucky enough to have visited Hong Kong on a few occasions and once I had my children with me which made it feel like a holiday and was fantastic, not only for me, but they had a very enjoyable, fascinating and educational time.

Hong Kong is a very busy and packed place.  I remember the first time I was there I was waiting at a crossing and as I stood there, it dawned on me how many people were actually waiting to cross, it was a matter of picking your line and sticking to it.  The lights changed and it was a like a tsunami of people coming towards you, of course they all knew where they were going which just left me just trying to navigate through the mass.  The streets are cramped (or feel that way) and the shop signs are so different from those here in the UK, very colourful and haphazardly arranged above your head.
I have been on many excursions and tours and have seen a contrast of buildings and sights.  Leaving the typical city skyline - which during the sunshine of the day there is a haze of smog.  
The smog gives an alluring and mystical appearance to the islands dotted out in the calm sea.  It transports you into a world of dragons, demons, Kung Fu and fighting swordsmen.
There are high rise buildings for as far as the eye can see, the tenants washing hung from balcony's with air conditioning units sharing the space.
En route to Stanley Market, one of the many markets Hong Kong has to offer there is a very interesting building and upon questioning the locals it is said to be built with the hole in the middle as legend has it that the buildings were built in front of the hill where the dragons live and in order for them to have passage way to their homes and not knock the buildings down, they had to build it in that way.  I am not sure that I would like to live in a building that is built in the way of flying dragons, let alone have the apartment that is right next to the gap!!
I have been lucky enough to have been in Hong Kong for Christmas a couple of times and it is an experience not to be missed.  It is colourful with fire works, happy people out in the chilly night air, smells from the many restaurants and late nights to be had.  The buildings along the harbour are decorated with an array of Christmas lights wishing visitors a joyous season in many languages.  Its as if the place never sleeps, there is always something to do and somewhere to go and see it.  One such night we took a trip up to the Peak, it was very cold and windy, but the sights were clear and as usual there were crowds.  We were going to take the tram up to the top, but the queue was vast and so we took a taxi - much quicker and warmer.  The taxi driver we got, seemed to be in a hurry and the ride down was a bit hairy, but he still had time to tell us about the approaching gate to Jackie Chan's house (of course the picture was a blur as the car just sped by), still, nice of him to point it out.
View of a smoggy Hong Kong from the Peak
If ever you get to go to Hong Kong a cable car ride to visit the Budha is well worth a day out.  The cable car was much longer than we expected and the scenery en-route was breathtaking, even though it was cold and very high. (Just a tip if you go, book the Crystal Car, as this by-passes all the queues and believe me, there are plenty).
This is the view you get of the Budha as you come around the corner in the cable car.  It was a misty day, but magical.  When you arrive, the statue of the Budha dominates the whole area.  Anywhere you go, you glance around and there it is, it is huge.  There is a lot of information about the Budha, some of it I found very surprising and did not know at all.

Hong Kong is a great place and I love it. There is great food, energetic or sultry nightlife to enjoy and lots of places to visit, or just do nothing.  If you ever get to go, enjoy.  Bye for now.

No comments: